Category: Higher Education
Opportunity Type: Experienced
Country: United States
City: Washington, DC
Job Type: Full-time Salary
Huron Consulting Group stands out as one of the fastest growing financial and operational consulting firms in the industry serving clients in the healthcare, education, life sciences, and business sectors. Huron helps clients improve performance, transform the enterprise, reduce costs, leverage technology, process and review large amounts of complex data, address regulatory issues, recover from distress and stimulate growth. Our professionals employ their expertise in finance, operations, strategy and technology to provide our clients with specialized analyses and customized solutions that are tailored to address each client’s particular challenges and opportunities to deliver sustainable and measurable results.
At Huron, we know our legacy is dependent on our greatest asset, our people. We understand that when you are considering your next career opportunity, you are assessing how you can make the biggest impact and be challenged with the most rewarding work. Huron’s entrepreneurial spirit is captured in our values based culture. Simply, it’s an unwavering commitment to always do the right thing by its clients, people, shareholders and communities. Huron’s core values – integrity, pursuit of excellence, accountability, collaboration, passion - capture the essence of who we are, how employees interact with others, and how business is conducted. In doing so, our shared values promise alignment of actions, incentives and true results. It’s the Huron way.
What will your legacy be?
Job Practice Description:
team of professionals, each with extensive knowledge and experience in the business of higher education and academic medical centers, delivers comprehensive services to the industry and partners with institutions to improve business performance across the enterprise. Our professionals draw from their experience working across various technology solutions, as well as strategic, financial, operational, and regulatory aspects of higher education to develop and implement the most effective solutions. Huron Education has worked with over 400 universities, academic medical centers, and research institutions to improve performance so they can continue their traditions of extraordinary achievement. The Huron Education team provides solutions across the following segments: Strategy and Operations, Research and Technology.
Job Solution Group Description:
Our Research Enterprise and Software solutions improve every aspect of research administration performance. We have built our expertise by working with more than 90 of the top 100 U.S. research universities, non-profit research institutions, academic medical centers nationwide, the nation’s top hospitals, and dozens of clients globally, bringing best practices and thought-leadership to the unique environment of research. Our solutions and deep expertise enable clients to more effectively manage the business of research through the following services; Research Administration Transformation, Research Compliance, Risk Mitigation, and Investigation Support, Research Strategy Facilitation and Financial Planning, Interim Management and Staffing, Research Software Solutions, and optimizing Clinical Research Operations, IRB Transformation.
Where will your legacy take you?
We invite you to learn more about your career at Huron. Visit us at www.huronconsultinggroup.com
The Clinical Research Coding Specialist (CRCS-I) supports the Research Office team by primarily supporting the development of coverage analysis, providing medical coding training, and updating coding documentation for Click Clinical Trial Management System and the Research Office staff.
The clinical research coding role in Research Office is uniquely tasked with analyzing clinical procedures dictated in clinical trial/study protocols in order to provide accurate and prospective medical coding for the items and services required by a research study protocol using the government rules for clinical trial billing. The coding specialist completes CPT, HCPCS, and diagnosis codes for reports, known as Coverage Analyses, and used in preparation for study budgeting, contracting, informed consent form development, and charge segregation to comply with Medicare and Medicaid billing rules, mainly the Medicare Clinical Trial Policy, NCD 310.1. The coder role, while supporting the Coverage Analyst-I (CAS-I)and Coverage Analyst-II (CAS-II), will be largely tasked with medical coding of the work produced by the Research Office Coverage Analysis team (i.e, the CAS-I and CAS-II personnel), which includes providing accurate current medical codes, interacting with Research Office staff and providing clinical procedure guidance as needed, preparing and maintaining client chargemasters, analyzing coverage analysis for procedure trends and preparing reports, and assisting with internal training programs.
• Effective time management to meet deadlines;
• Providing accurate medical codes for Coverage Analyses (CA’s) completed by CAS-I and CAS-II’s;
• As needed, developing training for the CAS-I and CAS-II roles;
• Maintaining both internal Research Office and client chargemasters;
• Analyzing and developing trend reports of procedures included in coverage analysis;
• Daily reporting on work planned and completed, both individually and client-specific;
• Interacting with staff to provide status updates and other support as needed for the Research Office team;
• Other duties as assigned;
Assigning the medical codes for a clinical trial CA using a Huron- or Client-approved template:
• Reviewing and analyzing clinical trial procedures provided in a coverage analysis to provide prospective medical coding;
• Applying guidance from the Medicare Clinical Trial Policy (NCD 310.1) to each clinical trial that is analyzed;
• Identifying and providing CPT/HCPCS/APC/DRG codes to the relevant items and services;
• Reviewing Medicare coverage guidance for each item or service, e.g. National Coverage Decisions (NCDs), Local Coverage Decisions (LCDs), and other non-Medicare limitations on coverage;
• Maintaining a chargemaster list for Huron’s clinical trial management system, Click
• Nationally recognized coding certificate, or equivalent professional experience
• Interpreting and applying Medicare Clinical Trials Policies, National Coverage Decisions, Local Coverage Decisions, limitations on coverage, medical claims coding practices and/or general clinical processes;
• Evidence of proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Excellent time and task management skills including adhering to project work plans, budgets, and timelines;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
• Must be self-motivated;
• Demonstrated resourcefulness;
• Ability to provide constructive feedback and create a supportive learning environment.
Preferred skills include:
• Proficient in hospital outpatient coding specialties – Laboratory, Radiology, Cardiology, and Oncology Services;
• Experience in coding or billing healthcare claims;
• Experience in healthcare compliance, general healthcare billing compliance, research billing, or research billing compliance;
• General knowledge of federal regulations related to medical coding and billing;
• Experience working in an administrative/ business office of a university, hospital, or research institute.